I should start by highlighting that I’m a pretty festive person on an ordinary day. So the holiday season is kind of a big deal. Before heading out of town to spend Christmas with my family I get to practice hauling out the holly at the annual festive brunch that my roommates and I host.
Last year I made these, and they seemed to go over pretty well, if I do say so myself.
This year I felt the need to up the ante, so I made two kinds of decadent pancakes, each topped with a homemade salted caramel sauce. They’re both based on cozy holiday drinks: a caramel apple spice cider and a salted caramel mocha.
1. Start with this recipe as a basis.
2. Add to the dry ingredients:
–For Caramel Apple Spice Cider: 2 tsp. cinnamon 1/2 tsp. nutmeg, 1/2 tsp. ginger, 1/8 tsp. cloves
–For Salted Caramel Mocha: 3 tsp. coffee grounds, 5 tbsp. cocoa powder
3. Mix the dry and wet, being careful not to overmix (there should still be lumps).
4. Pour batter onto a hot pan or griddle and sprinkle these toppings over the batter rounds:
–For Caramel Apple Spice Cider: apples chopped to the size of chocolate chips (I caramelized the apples first – cooked in a frying pan with a little butter and sugar until they turned golden-brown).
–For Salted Caramel Mocha: mini chocolate chips
5. Flip the pancakes when little bubbles appear all over. Cook the opposite side for another minute.
6. Top the pancakes with this yummy (and easy) Caramel Sauce. Add more salt for more of the salted caramel flavour.
You should totally whip up a batch (or two) for a festive breakfast one morning this holiday season! Happy Holidays!